Thursday, May 14, 2009

Little blessings

Some of my dear friends have lovingly accused me of seeing the glass half empty. I agree I tend towards the gloomy side (perhaps that explains why I still really enjoy my 90s teenage agnst and gray sky music) So here's to the good things.

About a month ago my sister Carrie, who's a children's physical therapist convinced me to take Connor to a child find at the school she works at. I took him mainly to check his hearing but they do a thorough screening. I wasn't sure what to expect but I didnt' expect the stack of referrals I received. While some panned out to nothing, some I'm glad we followed through on. I thought for sure the opthamologist would send me happily on my way. Instead little dude is getting glasses for a severe stigmatism and far sightedness.

Originally when we were referred to a speech therapist, we were told it would be a 6 month wait. After calling around I found a place downtown that could get him in sooner. The day of his scheduled evaluation they called and said they had to reschedule for the next week. That day Hailey had occupational therapy. While I was there the receptionist stuck her head in and asked if we still needed speech therapy because there had been several cancellations and we could do our eval that day. (they take an hour which is really the hold up to getting started) I jumped at it and found out Connor is pretty delayed. There are some concerns about how much he hears which we will hopefully know more about soon. I was so grateful that morning cancellation had allowed me to get him therapy at the office right in town, without a huge wait. And I'm so grateful my sister talked me into taking him in. I probably would have shrugged it off until he was 2. For a kid that's already behind that can be huge. Its funny how little things like that remind you that your family is being watched out for even if its something small.

I wrote this a few days ago and didn't post it yet. While I'm still happy he got into the speech therapist I'm less concerned than I initially was. We got Connor into the ENT today. While he'll probably end up with tubes and an adnoidectomy by fall, I'm happy to say that despite scarring on his left ear drum his hearing tested fine. YEah! Hopefully all he needs is some time and glasses (and some tubes.)

4 comments:

Brooke Moss said...

I am glad it all worked out with your Connor. Charlie was in all sorts of therapy, so I can understand balancing appointments, etc. Its a hassle and major stress. And on a side note...I, too, enjoyed my 90's angst. Went to candle light vigils when Kurt Cobain died, wore flannel and combat boots....nice. Good times. :)

Smelly Moose said...

Aw, I'm sure he'll be fine. Faith just got her glasses! Can't wait to see Connor in his! :) Faith had a speech eval last week and they estimate her 'age' to be around 10 months. Yikes! Hopefully the 'speech therapy' will help!

Campbells said...

I am so glad that you are seeing the glass half full liz, I am so proud of you!!! :) Con looks adorable in his glasses! I loved the text you sent me. I am sure he will catch up just fine now. Paulitz's are known for being genuises!(did I spell that right, you know what I mean) By the way, does he keep them on?

shurnuandbeagsly said...

Wow,some new changes, huh? But it will be good. Understanding the needs of the kids always goes a long way in being able to deal with them. Can't wait to see Con in his glasses...hopefully he'll adjust to them quickly.