Thursday, March 19, 2009

Just when I thought things were dull

Just when I thought nothing exciting ever happens around here everything happens at once. Figures. I never head down to the basement except for straight to the laundry room or to the garage for a diet Pepsi. Unfortunately this means there's a whole area I never go into so a lot can happen before I notice. Wednesday I'd been running laundry. Later in the afternoon I went to put something in the girls room when I noticed the uncomfortable feeling of soggy carpet beneath my feet. yes we've had a basement for all of a month and already managed to flood it. My first reaction was total panic and of course my landlord is out of town and I couldn't get ahold of Dave. I was downstairs trying to mop up the mess as best I could. When I went upstairs to get more towels this is what I found my boys doing.


I found my two sweet boys sitting on the floor with their hands in the flour tub flinging it around the kitchen. Gregger's response was "I not do it. Connor did it" Mind you his hands were full of flour he was ready to fling and they were both white with flour. Not to mention Connor can't open this cupboard. Turns out Greg opened the cupboard and they both emptied it. Connor can open the containers. Good times for me. I didn't know which mess to try and clean up first. So I stripped my boys down and locked all of the kids downstairs with me. Dave had a nice surprise when he came home. A soggy basement, messy kids, a flour coated kitchen and a panicked wife. Turns out the pipe for the washer discharge came out and made a nice pond between the walls which was seaping out all over the girl's closet and out into the hall. We seemed to have cleaned it all up. But oh the stench. The girl's had to sleep in the playroom it was so bad. A large box of arm and hammer later it seems better. I don't think a smell that bad came from one flood. I'm pretty sure some previous tenants contributed. But I'm afraid to tell the landlord because I don't want to pay any damages. I'm guessing a couple tenants in a row doing this probably led to the smell.


Connor and his new girlfriend Lucy. She loves to pound on him :) Connor's plenty used to it so he doesn't mind. She crawled right over and sat on his lap. So sweet.


My little kitchen helper. Greg loves to help me cook dinner. He's covering his ears because apparantly the toaster is scary. (yes we had toast for dinner they'll live)




McKenzie's 2nd grade choir concert. She had a speaking part she was very proud of. She is growing to be such a little lady. Her teachers just love her. Everytime I see her teacher sees me she tells me she wants to keep her in her class forever.







3 comments:

Celeste said...

That seriously stinks about your basement flooding and the dilemma about whether to tell your landlord or not! I'm sure it will all work out. Even if you have to put a box of Arm and Hammer on it every week :)

Love the picture of Conner and Lucy!

Campbells said...

I love that your kids like chitty chitty bang bang too! It is a great movie! Kenz does look grown up, sure miss that little girl! Just the other day ago Da and I were reminising(sp) about having conversations with her and how fun it is!

The Patty Cake House said...

I LOVE that your boys are in the middle of a mess - that is the story of my life!!!! Boys are so fun and soooooooo messy! Your little Mckenzie is so pretty in her pictures. You have a cute little family!