Wednesday, May 28, 2008

They might be brats

I've long suspected that there is a distinct possiblity that might children might be turning out to be spoiled brats, despite the fact that we are far from rich. They have often given good reason to suspect but tonight they clinched the deal. Dave and I decided that we would take the kids out to Baskin Robbins for a treat tonight. We had buy one get one free coupons for sundaes and a slew of gift certificates so we thought it would be a fun surprise. Well it was a surprise all right, how badly our kids acted. It started when we informed the girls that we weren't going to be letting them pick out a flavor each but that we were going to get two "cups of shame" to share and a kid cone for Greg since no one likes to share with him. For those of you who don't know, in my family the "cup of shame" is that giant Reeses peanut butter cup sundae at Baskin Robbins, its plenty big enough to share. McKenzie and Hailey carried on, sometimes together, sometimes on individually, the entire time we were there about how unfair, mean, and horrible it all was that we were sharing. And also we are liars because we said they could each get their own sundae. Which we did not, I think our pulling in there implied that to them. As if my children carrying that their treat wasn't big enough was enough, we sat next to a table of little old ladies who I swear were snickering in their ice cream at my poor parenting skills and what brats my kids were being. I'm quite sure they were secretly chanting underneath their permed little heads for me to drag those girls out and spank them.
Lately my girls have been acting like entitled little princesses. They whine about every little chore, Kenzie's new favorite thing is to yell at me for making her do all the housework and telling me I'm lazy. I've had the you don't talk to your parents that way talk several times by the way. A month or two ago Hailey informed me that she was going to call the police because I was a mean mom and mean people go to jail. And the kids were all going to live with Grandma. She pulls that one back out regularly whenever things aren't working out for her, and I think she means it. I think in her mind I sometimes rank up there with the criminals.
I realize that things are a lot different than when we were all kids and I'd bet my life savings (ha, ha, ha) that we would have been very sorry if we acted this way. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm running out of answers. So if anybody has some advice, tips, or amazing new punishment or motivator please let me know. Because I think I've got the future Paris Hilton of the low rent apartments on my hands here.

9 comments:

Shaila Lou said...

I hate when kids act like this, especially in public where it looks like you are the worst parent ever. I don't know of any real advice...just don't ever give in!!

Heather said...

Sorry your fun surprise didn't turn out so fun for you. That sure is a bumber!
Only one suggestion: Take it to go, so most of you still get to enjoy your treat, but take away what you did get for them. If is wasn't good enought to share, then they can go without. Yeah there may be crying, but they chose not to want it. And who should be rewarded with such a special treat when they act that way. Maybe easier said than done...Good luck:)

Kristin said...

Oh man Liz, I wish I had advice for you but I don't, and actually need it for myself. But that is beside the point that I want to make, and that is that you are a fantastic writer. I really look forward to your posts because they are so hilarious! You could write a book about the perils of motherhood. And make your kids DIE from embarrassment. Wouldn't that be a way to give them what's coming to them?!? :)

Porter Family said...

maybe tranquilizers? :)

Bratton Family said...

You need SuperNanny!!! ;)

Lou and Jamie said...

I would ask your mom how you acted as kid? Perhaps this is a genetic problem that just is not going to go away:) On the serious side, I agree with heather and it works with our kids.... If its not good enough to share they can go without. If not just send them to live with me... I will give them little beads to sell on the beach to the tourists... when they don't sell enough they don't eat.

Smelly Moose said...

Ah, the joys of parenting :) So, now you have a link to my blog, and on there, under my 'favorite links' or something like that, is Lucy's book review website. Hope you can find some good books! Talk to you later!
The other Liz

chuck and april said...

it's so frustrating when we, as parents try to do something nice for our kids, and it some how back fires. why are we so nice?!?!?!?!

Campbells said...

I have no advice to you as you know! My kids are brats too and I had a bad day with them! It seems that kids these days just think they are entitled to anything their little hearts desire!